Friday, January 16, 2015

Cowboys

Jan. 16, 2015

If I can't live in the mountains, I'm grateful to live in Cowtown. We went to the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo with Grandson #2 and Daughter-in-law today. It was opening day, which we didn't realize when we made the date to go the Science Museum, but when we got there and found out that museum parking also got us into the Stock Show, we headed over. Little Boy loves the hunks of metal (tractors & ranch machinery) as much as the animals, and because it was opening day, the vendors were just setting up. So we got to see the Stock Show just coming together, a few animals and lots of tractors - without the crowds.




Smile for the day was the cowboys who let me take their picture. In a society too full of sloppiness - pants on the ground, wrinkled t-shirts and hoodies, and slouching posture - you gotta love cowboys. These boys walk with confidence and look clean-pressed even in work clothes - starched & creased jeans that fall just right on their boots (even cooler with spurs), neatly pressed shirts, a vest or jacket, leather gloves, topped off with a be-still-my-heart cowboy hat, blocked to fit perfectly. But here's why I really love cowboys: I asked if I could take their picture and they politely obliged, struck a natural pose and smiled - genuine smiles! When I thanked them, one said, "Yes, ma'am." How lucky I am to live where gentlemen still call a woman "ma'am" and mean nothing but respect by it!











No comments:

Post a Comment